Let’s admit that AC is a great invention that will be perfect to counter a scorching hot summer. But things will go south if something unpredicted comes through the gaps of your window air conditioner. If you find any gaps disclosed around your air conditioner, then it is time to find a way to seal around window air conditioner. Here are some details to help you.
How to Seal Around Window Air Conditioner
If you have an air conditioner newly installed, it can be a favorite thing since this appliance will let you have fresh air ready to swing inside the room. However, if there are gaps between your window and the AC, that can waste the power of your AC since the hot air outside can come in through the gaps.
Hence, your AC needs more power to cool down the room.
There are two items you can choose to make the gaps invisible. First, you can use duct tape or use caulking.
- The duct tapes
You know this good old thing. It secures any gaps you can imagine. However, it typically doesn’t work if the gaps are more than one inch wide. So, it is a quick solution only if you have hairline crevices, not a big one that even some creeper bugs can come through.
If you opt to install your window AC for a quite long time, you may opt to caulk the gaps for better closure. Besides, it offers a more secure option, you can also get a neater gap closure, so you don’t need to worry about insects or other small animals creeping in and entering your house.
Plus, caulking makes sure no hot air and rainwater seep in. Therefore, it can be said that this is a better option for air conditioner gap filler compared to duct tapes.
If the window frame was old and needed to be replaced, it can cause an air leak which decreased the efficiency of the window air conditioning units and made the air conditioner unit struggle to produce enough cool air for the room.
How to Seal Window Air Conditioner from Bugs
You can do the same thing to seal around window air conditioner gap to prevent bugs from coming through the gaps. However, the duct tape method is somehow ineffective in closing the gap. That said, it is better to provide caulking compared to using duct tape.
Read also: Need AC for Room with no Windows?
There are several other methods that you can use to seal your window air conditioner from bugs. The methods are as follows:
- Use screening. If you have just installed a window air conditioner, it becomes important to place a window screening outside your window AC in order to block pests. This will block them from coming into the AC. Plus, it can be said that this is the most effective method you can do to seal window AC from bugs.
- Use cardboard. If your AC unit is the one that uses accordion flaps, cut a regular cardboard to seal each hole. However, make sure you cover all edges and cracks even to the tiniest part that may even be used as ‘port d’entry’ of bugs.
Sliding Window Seal for Air Conditioner
What if you have a sliding window? Well, it needs a bit of adjustment in this case. Plus, you need to make sure that you’re OK, even if you can only use one slide window. However, the basic remains the same.
- First, open one slide window and put the window AC onto the preferred place.
- Adjust the slide window and try to discover how much the slide window can move still.
- Now, you can see that above your AC there will be an empty space that you can close with a screening. Whatever the material is, it doesn’t matter. Just measure the width and the height of the empty window. Then, prepare a screening with such a size.
- Insert the screening on top of the window AC.
- While for the remaining gaps (if any), you can use another kind of gap sealant.
So, those are how to seal around window air conditioner. I hope you find this article helpful for you.